Office of Advising Services for International Students (OASIS)


The Office of Advising Services for International Students (OASIS) is to serve for international students who may have worries, concerns, difficulties, or complaints while studying on campus. Please feel free to come and seek help whenever you face a problem, no matter what it is. Your privacy is our first priority, and everything asked, and said will be kept strictly confidential. It is also possible to seek help via email. Please check the information below for contacts.

In some cases that require paperwork, such as housing and joint guarantees for your accommodation, staff in the Office of International Affairs may be present during the advising session. If you consult via e-mail, the staff of the Office of International Affairs can reply by email.


Vol.1      Vol.2      Vol.3     Vol.4     Vol.5     Vol.6


Monday – Friday
(excluding Saturday, Sunday, holidays, holiday periods such as year-end and new year)


12:00 – 16:00

International Student Advisor, (gender), languages

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday
Professor Shinichi Nakamoto (Male) Japanese / English

2nd and 4th Thursday(1st and 3rd Thursdays only in July and October 2022)
Ms.  Danning Zhao (Female) Japanese / English /Chinese

Consultation is available when the Advising Room is open.

  • You may be asked to wait when another student is already in the room. We recommend making an appointment at Office of International Affairs.
  • The Advising Room may be closed or may shorten its opening hours due to business trips or campus events, etc. Unexpected schedule changes will be announced at the entrance of the Office of International Affairs, and in the Facebook page of the ISSSU(International Student Society of Saitama University).
Contact information

Professor Nakamoto: shinichi[at]

Ms. Zhao: zhaodn12[at]

Note: [at] needs to be changed to @.



Q 1. I would like to work part-time or do an internship. What kind of permits are required?

A 1. If your resident status is “Student”, you are not allowed to work with your status alone. Please apply for work permit at the Immigration Bureau. The application form is available at the Office of International Affairs. Please come to the Office of International Affairs with your passport and resident card.

→ Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted

Q 2. I will soon graduate from SaitamaUniversity. Since my resident status “Student” or visa shows the period of stay still far ahead, I can stay in Japan after graduation until the date of expiration, right?

A 2. Since the resident status “Student” is for study and research at universities, you cannot stay in Japan after graduation, no matter how far ahead before your period of stay expires. Please return to your country promptly after graduation. If you wish to remain in Japan after graduation, your resident status must be changed. Remember that your resident status expires with your graduation. Please come to the Office of International Affairs for consultation.

If you are a non-degree seeking research student and have time till you enter graduate school after the research period, you must also return to your home country and wait till admission.

→ Change of resident status

Q 3. I would like to bring my family to Japan. What kind of procedures are required?

A 3. Procedures differ whether your family will visit temporarily for sightseeing, or they will live together with you in Japan. There may be a case in which a reference will be required, depending on your nationality. If you do not know anyone who can provide a reference, your supervisor or International Student Advisor may provide a reference in some cases. Please come to the Office of International Affairs to seek help.

→ Bringing family into Japan

Q 4. I would like to apply for a scholarship, but I cannot submit a recommendation letter since I do not have an academic supervisor.

A 4. If you do not have a supervisor, we can write a recommendation letter for you. Please come to the Advising Room.

Q 5. I would like to receive medical treatment at a hospital or clinic due to sickness or injury, but it is difficult for me to explain the symptoms in Japanese.

A 5. The AMDA International Medical Information Center provides medical information (medical-related consultation, referral to medical institutions which can communicate in foreign languages, medical welfare system guide, etc.) in English, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Spanish. In addition, services can be provided in Portuguese, Tagalog, and Vietnamese, although available days and times are limited.

  • AMDA International Medical Information Center
    Tel: 03-5285-8088
    Medical information such as referrals to medical institutions that can communicate in foreignlanguages, and about the medical welfare system, is provided in several languages by telephone.
    *The schedule is subject to change.
    English / Chinese / Spanish / Thai / Korean
    Everyday (temporarily):9:00 – 20:00
    Monday / Wednesday / Friday 9:00 – 17:00
    Wednesday 13:00 – 17:00

Q 6. Are there any hospitals or clinics where medical check-ups and examinations are available on holidays?

A 6. There are hospitals that provide holiday and night-time services in each local area. Please make sure you check them. For example, in Saitama City, emergency cases are admitted on holidays at the Urawa holiday emergency clinic. Seibu General Hospital also provides a night-time medical services, but no emergency cases are admitted to this hospital.

  • Urawa holiday emergency clinic
    Tel: 048-833-0119
    Address: Urawa Ward Health Center 2F, 6-4-18 Tokiwa, Urawa-ku, Saitama City
    Holiday medical service (Sunday, holidays, year-end / new year)
    Internal medicine / pediatrics 9:00 – 11:00, 13:00 – 16:30, 19:00 – 21:30
    Night-time medical service
    Internal medicine / pediatrics 19:00 – 21:30 (Sunday, holidays, year-end / new year)
    Pediatrics 19:30 – 22:00 (Monday – Friday)
  • Seibu General Hospital
    TEL: 048-854-1111
    Address: 884 Kami Ookubo, Sakura-ku, Saitama City

Q 7. I would like to consult about legal issues (such as sexual harassment and academic harassment). What can I do?

A 7. Please do not distress yourself alone. Visit the Advising Room and have Advisors help you confidentially.

Q 8. How can I find a hospital where doctors can understand my English?

A 8. Come to the Advising & Counseling Room after you try this URL:


A Message from International Student Advisors

Many problems cannot be solved alone, such as class choices for registration, human relationships with your supervisors and laboratory members, visa issues when going to a third country for short-term study or internship, a stolen wallet, an accident, concerns about career options in the future including job hunting. Please do visit to seek help. Let’s search for the solutions to your problems together.