Daily Life Info.

【Guide to Living in Japan for Foreigners】
You can find useful information on living in Japan for foreign residents.

 <Saitama Prefecture>
“A Guide to Living in Saitama” is available in 9 languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog and Vietnamese Thai. (Partial Translation)
‣Multilingual support: http://www.pref.saitama.lg.jp/a0306/tabunkakyousei/seikatsu-guide.html

<Saitama City>
This website provides useful living information such as how to dispose of trash, bicycle traffic rules, English speaking services and many more.
‣Japanese: https://www.city.saitama.jp/jp/index.html
‣English: https://www.city.saitama.jp/en/sc/living.html


【Multilingual Consultation】

<Saitama Information & Support(SIS), Saitama prefecture>
1. SIS gives advice on everyday life issues in foreign languages over the phone. SIS also provides face-to-face consultations with specialists on immigration, labor, or legal issues.
*You must schedule an appointment for consultation sessions.
2. SIS can provide interpretation over the phone for those who have difficulty with the Japanese language at public facilities such as prefectural and municipal offices or hospitals. Please ask facility staff to call SIS.
‣Japanese: https://sia1.jp/jp/foreign/advice/#languages
‣English: https://sia1.jp/en/foreign/advice/#languages

<Life Support Portal Site for Foreign Residents>
You can view information published by the government and other organizations.
‣Multilingual support: https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/support/portal/index.html

<Other consultation services, Saitama City>
Consultation locations other than those listed above are listed.
‣Japanese: https://www.city.saitama.jp/jp/sc/living-consultation.html
‣English: https://www.city.saitama.jp/en/sc/living-consultation.html


【Electricity / Gas/ Water】
When you use the system for the first time or move out, contact us by phone or internet.

By contracting with an electric power company, you can turn on electricity to your room and use your electric appliances such as refrigerator and microwave oven. If there is a short circuit or if you use more electricity than the capacity, the breaker will trip and the electricity supply will be automatically cut off, causing a power outage. In such cases, reduce the use of electrical appliances before raising the breaker. In Saitama Prefecture, any electrical appliance labeled with a frequency of 50 Hz and 100 V can be used.
‣Japanese: https://www.city.saitama.jp/jp/sc/living-gas.html
‣ English: https://www.city.saitama.jp/en/sc/living-gas.html<
‣ (Reference) Tokyo Electric Power Company (English): https://www.tepco.co.jp/en/ep/startstop/index-e.html

Two types of gas are used in Saitama City; “City Gas” and “Propane Gas.” It is very dangerous to use gas appliances that do not match the two types of gas. The city gas company is “Tokyo Gas”, and only in Iwatsuki Ward, it is “Tosai Gas.” When you start using gas, please contact the company and ask them to open the tap and confirm that the gas appliances match the type of gas.
‣Japanese: https://www.city.saitama.jp/jp/sc/living-gas.html
‣English: https://www.city.saitama.jp/en/sc/living-gas.html

<Water supply>
Tap water in Japan is very clean and can be drunk directly from the tap.
‣Japanese: https://www.city.saitama.jp/jp/sc/living-water.html
‣English: https://www.city.saitama.jp/en/sc/living-water.html


In order to have money sent from your home country, to make deposits, and also to have “automatic debits” for utility bills (electricity, gas, water, etc.), you need to open a savings account at a bank. Since monthly private scholarships are paid by bank transfer, it is advisable to open a bank account as soon as possible after arriving in Japan. To open a bank account, you will need to provide proof of your status, such as your residence card, and a “Hanko” (your seal).

<How to open a bank account and send money>
‣Japanese: https://www.fsa.go.jp/news/r1/20191004/1.Japanese.pdf
‣Multilingual support: https://www.fsa.go.jp/news/r1/20191004/20190411.html

*IMPORTANT! Prohibit the sale or transfer of bank accounts
It is a CRIME to sell or give a bank account without just cause.
If there is any change in your information such as address, period of stay, status of residence and place of work, you should immediately contact the bank with which you have an account.

Once you have a cash card, you can use ATMs for withdrawing and transferring money. Do not share your PIN with anyone. Bank staff or police officers will never directly ask you for your PIN by telephone or other means. ATMs are available at banks, convenience stores, train stations, etc.



【Post office】
Post offices are located throughout Japan and, in addition to delivering mail, do the same work as banks.

For information on post office locations, hours of operation, and mail delivery, please visit the post office website.
‣Japanese: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/index.html
‣English: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/index_en.html

<Postcards, Letters and Packages>
Letters and postcards can be dropped off at the red mailboxes on the street (marked with the postal symbol ‘〒’). Stamps are sold at post offices, convenience stores, and stores marked with 〒. Please ask at the post office about the handling and charges for international mail, as they vary depending on the destination.

<Mail Forwarding>
When you move within Japan, you can have your mail forwarded to your new address for one year by notifying the post office of your change of address.

< ATM (JP Bank)>
You can withdraw money with the credit card or cash card published by the overseas institution in Japan Post Bank ATMs.
‣Japanese: https://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/kojin/access/atm/kj_acs_atm_ias.html
‣English: https://www.jp-bank.japanpost.jp/en/ias/en_ias_index.html

 <Practical Guide for International Students>
‣Multilingual support: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ems/ryugaku/intl_student/index_en.html


Saiden Chemical Arena (Saitama City Memorial Gymnasium)
Located next to Sakura Ward Office, the gymnasium has a fitness studio, training room, heated swimming pool, table tennis room, archery range, running course, and conference room, and is available for use by individuals and groups at inexpensive rates.

Plaza West
Plaza West is a complex facility that houses not only citizen exchange facilities (various ateliers, multipurpose rooms, seminar rooms, etc.), but also the Sakura Library and Sakura Ward Office.
‣Japanese only: http://www.saitama-culture.jp/plazawst/