May 8, 2023
On April 27, 2023, the Japanese government formally decided to downgrade the status of COVID-19 to “Class 5” under the Infectious Diseases Control Law, effective May 8, 2023.
In accordance with this decision, the various infectious disease control measures that Saitama University had requested the students, faculty and staff to take were terminated on May 7, 2023, except for some of them. And the following is a brief description of the measures to be taken after May 8, 2023.
【Basic infection control measures】
Basic infection control measures, such as wearing a mask, washing hands, and taking a temperature, should be taken at your own discretion.
【In case of infection】
(1) Since the risk of infection cannot be eliminated, in order to prevent the spread of infection on campus, we request that you report any cases of infection with COVID-19 to the University using the following reporting form.
〈Students〉COVID-19 Reporting Form
〈Faculty and Staff〉COVID-19 Reporting Form
(2) Voluntary restraint from going outsides is not required by law. It is up to the individual to decide whether to refrain from going outsides. Please refer to the following information to help you make this determination.
a. Recommended period to refrain from going outsides
● The risk of infecting others is particularly high during the first 5 days after the onset of symptoms. Therefore, it is recommended to refrain from going outsides for 5 days from the day of onset of symptoms by being absent, taking vacations, telecommuting, etc. (Even if you have no choice but to go outsides during these five days, make sure you are symptom-free and wear a mask, etc.)
● If symptoms persist on the fifth day, it is recommended that the patient refrain from leaving the house and wait until symptoms such as fever, phlegm and sore throat have abated for about 24 hours.
● In case the symptoms are severe, it is recommended to consult a physician.
b. Consideration for those around you
Since there is a possibility of virus shedding until the 10th days after the onset of symptoms, please take care not to transfer the virus to others around you by wearing a non-woven mask, refraining from contact with high-risk individuals such as the elderly and so on. If symptoms such as coughing and sneezing continue after 10 days from the onset of the symptoms, please take care not to infect others around you by wearing a mask, etc.
(3) The handling of classes and employment of infected persons is as follows.
〇 （For Students）Treatment of COVID-19 in classes on and after May 8, 2023
〇 （For Faculty in charge of classes）Treatment of COVID-19 in classes on and after May 8, 2023
〇 （For Faculty and Staff) Employment-related Treatment of New Coronavirus Infections (only in Japanese)
【In case of contact with an infected person】
In general, public health centers do not identify close contacts with persons infected with COVID-19, nor do they ask close contacts to refrain from going outsides in accordance with the Infectious Disease Control Law. In line with this, we do not identify close contacts and do not ask them to refrain from going outsides.
【In case that a person living together is infected】
If a person living with you is infected with COVID-19, the first step is to separate rooms if possible, and the infected person should be cared for by as few people as possible. Then, if you go out, take care of yourself, especially for the first 5 days after the onset of the infected person’s symptoms. (But it is necessary to keep in mind that symptoms may occur up to day 7.) During this period, please take infection control measures such as hand washing and other hand hygiene, frequent ventilation, wearing a non-woven mask, and avoiding contact with the elderly and other high-risk individuals.
【Other ongoing measures】
Saitama University continues the following measures among the infection control measures that have been implemented so far after May 8, 2023.
〇 (For All) To ease COVID-19 guidelines for mask-wearing (Notice)
〇 (For All) Information on PCR testing for SU students, faculty and staff
〇 (For Students) Extracurricular Activities in 2023 (after May 8) (Notice) (only in Japanese)
〇 (For Students) How to report on COVID-19 to the professor in charge of the class
〇 (For Faculty and Staff) Employment Rules for COVID-19 Vaccination (only in Japanese)